Review: The Picture House Murders

The Picture House Murders The Picture House Murders by Fiona Veitch Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m always on the lookout for new cosy crimes (especially historical) to read, so I was pleased to pick up The Picture House Murders by Fiona Veitch Smith.

I enjoyed reading this book, which had a well thought out plot. The mystery was intriguing, and there were plenty of suspects.

I liked Clara very much, she has plenty of courage. Although she’s sometimes (not surprisingly) daunted by the deep waters she finds herself in, she persists until she works out what’s really going on.

I found myself frustrated by the limitations on women, though I’m sure this is realistic for the time it’s set in. I also struggled with the fact that there was no one Clara could trust, this (along with the conspiracy going on) made the story feel a little darker than most cosy crimes I read.

I really liked the fact that this story is set in Newcastle, I don’t think I’ve ever read a historical cosy crime set there before.

Overall, this was an enjoyable cosy crime, with plenty of unexpected twists to keep you on your toes!

I was given a copy of this book, my opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden