Review: Scarlet

Scarlet Scarlet by Genevieve Cogman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I’ve been a fan of Genevieve Cogman since the first Invisible Library book, so I was thrilled to get my hands on an early copy of Scarlet, the first in her next series.

This time, we’re in the midst of the French Revolution, only there are vampires! I’m not really into history, and especially such a bloodthirsty era. However, this book is from a favourite author, so I decided to go ahead anyway, and I’m glad I did.

The world building, as I’d expect from this author, was excellent. It all felt very real and visceral. The vampires fitted in well, not seeming at all out of place.

The plot was great, I was gripped straight away, and I was rooting for Eleanor all the way through. She was a great character, feisty, intelligent, and thoughtful. She came across so completely, a clear sign of excellent writing.

Overall, this was a gripping adventure that I couldn’t put down. Not my usual cosy fare, but I can’t wait for the next in the series.

I was given a copy of this book, my opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden