Review: Manga Classics Anne of Green Gables

Manga Classics Anne of Green Gables Manga Classics Anne of Green Gables by Crystal Chan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this manga adaptation of Anne of Green Gables. It is based on several books from the series, rather than just the first one. I thought the story adaptation was done well, focussing on the relationship between Anne and Marilla, as well as several other key relationships (Diana, Matthew, Gilbert). I was disappointed that the layer cake incident didn’t make it, nor did walking the ridgepole, as those were some of my favourite moments from the book. However, you can’t fit everything from a book series into a single manga! 

The artwork was lovely, and the format of manga brings an immediacy and clarity of emotion in the moment that is delightful. I laughed several times at Anne’s antics. I think that this adaptation of Anne of Green Gables will appeal to long time fans and new readers alike. I especially like the thought that it will bring new readers who perhaps only read manga and graphic novels. I also enjoyed the special features at the end.

If you’re looking for a delightful manga tale of a girl finding her place in the world, then I highly recommend this. I also recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed the Anne of Green Gables story in any of its previous formats.

I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden