Review: Sky Pirates: Echo Quickthorn and the Great Beyond

Sky Pirates: Echo Quickthorn and the Great Beyond Sky Pirates: Echo Quickthorn and the Great Beyond by Alex English
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book, it was such a fun adventure. Echo is a brilliant character, full of energy and quick thinking. It was great to read her journey - both physical and emotional - as she escapes Lockfort and searches for her mother. All the characters were well realised, and even the main villain (King Alfons) was understandable. He was (extremely misguidedly) trying to protect his people. I thought the character development of Prince Harold was particularly good.

I loved all the different places that Echo and her friends visit, you really get a sense of the different places. Each island or city seems very distinct.

I feel that as well as being a lot of fun to read, there’s an important message in this story, summed up by the verse from Professor Daggerwing at the beginning of the book - that walls imprison as well as protect.

If you’re looking for a fun adventure, with steam airships and fantastical lands, then this is the book for you. I’d recommend it to adults as well as children. I really hope there will be a sequel.

I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden