Review: Moonchild: Voyage of the Lost and Found

Moonchild: Voyage of the Lost and Found Moonchild: Voyage of the Lost and Found by Aisha Bushby
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I chose this book because it’s beautiful cover is so lovely, and the story sounded interesting. I enjoyed reading about the children and their jinn. I love the idea of having an animal (but so much more than one) connected to you like that. Amira was a particularly appealing character. She was curious, adventurous, and courageous. I thought the mix of characters was great, Leo makes a nice contrast, being far more cautious and thoughtful.


I found the interruptions by the narrator a little irritating at times, I just wanted to progress with the story! I think this shows how engrossing the adventure is. 


I thought the world building was excellent - interesting and believable, in spite of obviously being fantastical CHECK. The illustrations inside the book are as beautiful and captivating as the cover. They really bring the story to life.


SPOILER IN THIS PARAGRAPH


The one thing I really did not like was Leo disappearing at the end. When I was the age that this book is aimed at, that would have really upset me. I’m assuming that he will reappear in a future book. This is why I have given 3, rather than 4, stars. The ending did not feel satisfying.


END OF SPOILER


Overall, this was a beautiful and magical story, with delightful illustrations, suitable for older children and adults alike. Just be careful if your child is particularly sensitive, as this volume doesn’t end happily for all characters.


I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden