Review: The Monster MASH

The Monster MASH The Monster MASH by Angie Fox
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve been a fan of Angie Fox’s Southern Ghost Hunter series for quite a while now, they’re great, lighthearted, murder mysteries, with a paranormal twist. I highly recommend them. So I was excited to read this book, but also a bit apprehensive, as it’s a very different genre to my normal reads.

This story is set during a war between two sets of gods. I normally avoid books with gods and/or war in, but this is Angie Fox. The main character is a mortal doctor who has been forced to serve by treating the wounded soldiers, both mortal and immortal. I was so angry at mortals being forced to work their entire lives away, with no choice, or holidays, that it made it very difficult for me to enjoy this book.

The story is well written, I didn’t notice a single error or typo (most unusual for me). The writing flows well, and the pacing is good throughout. The characters are believable, and even the people who do bad things (on page at least) have understandable reasons. The writing really makes me feel for the characters, especially Rodger and Petra. I didn’t like Galen to start with, he seemed rather too entitled. However, the way he tried to make things better for everyone in camp rather redeemed him.

There were definitely some amusing moments - the swamp monsters provided many of these!

I just found the immortals total disregard for the well being of mortals so sickening, and it made me so angry, that the experience of reading wasn’t as enjoyable for me, as Angie Fox’s other books. This is why I’ve only given 3 stars. However, if you’re into the fighting against overwhelming odds sort of books, then this is an excellent specimen, with some romance and humour too. I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys this genre. And it has a great happy ending, even if it does feel like it might only be temporary.

I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden