Review: How to Be a Hero

How to Be a Hero How to Be a Hero by Cat Weldon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the first book I’ve read by Cat Weldon. I found the cover and description appealing, so I thought I’d give it a go.

This story turned out to be a lot of fun. Two people who don’t really fit in (Whetstone and Lotta) accidentally get entangled (metaphorically) and adventures ensue. There are quite a lot of funny moments, and the fantasy plot is fun. I’m not really familiar with the Nine Worlds mythology, but it makes an excellent background for this story.

In the earlier parts of the book, I noticed quite a few extraneous apostrophes - Class One’s and Class Threes have different uses for example. There is also some confusion on a name - is it Seven, or Sevenson, or Svenson, the Selfish? Other than this, I didn’t notice any errors. As this is an advance copy, hopefully these will be sorted before publication.

If you’re looking for a fun (and funny) middle grade fantasy adventure, pick this one. It’s great for light hearted relief from real life, as well as excitement. I’m looking forward to reading the sequel.

I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden