Review: Hattie Brown versus the Cloud Snatchers

Hattie Brown versus the Cloud Snatchers Hattie Brown versus the Cloud Snatchers by Claire Harcup
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This was an odd one. Hattie Brown gets pulled through her fridge into a mysterious land called Somewhere-Nowhere, with talking animals, a lack of clouds, and various other weirdness. I liked Hattie a lot, she didn’t give up, and she looked after her friends, and had a good sense of right and wrong. The setting was crazy and fun, but it was a bit too odd for me. I was left with far, far too many questions about both the plot, and how Somewhere-Nowhere works. I love fantasy stories, but this one just doesn’t seem to have enough internal logic for me. The story didn’t feel finished - the children got back home okay, but we don’t know what has happened to any of the other characters we’ve come to care about. I’m assuming there is a sequel planned that will explain some of this, but meanwhile I’m left feeling unsatisfied.

If you are not the sort to question why, then this is a fun adventure in a whacky land, and great entertainment. However, if like me, you like your world-building to make sense, at least with itself, you may also be left unsatisfied.

I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden