Review: A Year at Appleyard Farm

A Year at Appleyard Farm A Year at Appleyard Farm by Emma Davies
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is a little different to most - it’s more like four novellas published together than one book in four sections. In fact, that is how it was originally published. There is definitely an overarching theme, but each section very much focusses on two people. I didn’t realise this in advance, and found it confusing, especially the third section (Summer), because it starts with two characters that have not even been mentioned in the previous two sections.

However, I did enjoy all four sections of this book. Each one contains a lovely romance, and Appleyard Farm and the village are the setting for all four. 

Autumn (the final section) was my favourite. It includes both Stephen’s character development, and such a sweet romance. It also ends with the wedding of the two characters from Winter (the first section). However, I was disappointed that although the romantic side of the story had a satisfying ending, the criminal storyline did not. An epilogue tying this up would have been great.

Spring was another favourite, I loved all the discoveries about the previous occupants of the house and shop.

Amos was a great character, though only present in Winter. I know he’s in some of Emma’s other books, it’s always great when he crops up.

I enjoyed the way the seasons ran throughout the book, each story is threaded through with the season it is set in.

Overall, this was an enjoyable collection of romances, that work well together in one volume. Perfect for settling down with on a rainy day.

I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden