Review: A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Murder

A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Murder A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Murder by Dianne Freeman
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I’m reviewing this book as I stand alone story - I have not read the previous two books in the series.

I chose this book because I love cozy crime (especially historical), and I loved the title. However, it turned out not to really be my cup of tea. I liked the characters, but it just took so long for them to do anything, and their investigations seemed rather half hearted most of the time. They didn’t ask anything like enough questions of enough people. Also, I unfortunately worked out pretty near the beginning (at the incident of the steward being knocked off his horse) who the culprit was. There also wasn’t much humour, which although not essential, I very much enjoy. The historical setting sometimes seemed unrealistic, I can’t quite put my finger on why, it just didn’t ring true to me. However, I don’t know much about the Victorian Era, so it may just be me. I did really like George, Frances, and their relationship.

If you love a slow-paced, gentle, cozy crime, with a bit of romance, then this could be the book for you. Sadly, it just wasn’t my thing.

I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden