Review: My Fake Rake

My Fake Rake My Fake Rake by Eva Leigh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was a fun way to while away a few hours. I love Regency romances, and this one had a recommendation on the cover from Tessa Dare, so it seemed ideal.

The plot is a fun one, though similar have been written before. Girl uses male friend to show male she’s interested in that she’s a good catch. I liked the fact that the man she was initially interested in didn’t turn out to be horrible, as is usually the case. The book has lots of humour, and a sympathetic portrayal of social anxiety. However, it was let down by some anachronistic use of language (it seemed so to me anyway, but I’m far from an expert) - for example bastard to mean a nasty person rather than someone whose parents were unmarried. There are also a number of Americanisms - though again, I’m no expert on the Regency Era, so they may have been in common usage, they just stuck out to me. Some of the plot also seemed a little anachronistic to me.

However, this story was entertaining, and just a little bit silly. If you’re not a stickler for historical accuracy and just want a fun Regency romp, this is a good choice.

I was given a free copy of this book. My opinions are my own. You can preorder My Fake Rake here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B082...

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Sweet Mercies

Review: The Christmas Love Letters: a gorgeous, heartwarming new Christmas romance to cosy up with this winter

Review: The Ice Garden